Tuesday, October 03, 2006

October Beauty

October gave a party;
The leaves by hundreds came -
The Chestnuts, Oaks, and Maples,
And leaves of every name.
The Sunshine spread a carpet,
And everything was grand,
Miss Weather led the dancing,
Professor Wind the band.
The Chestnuts came in yellow,
The Oaks in crimson dressed;
The lovely Misses Maple
In scarlet looked their best;
All balanced to their partners,
And gaily fluttered by;
The sight was like a rainbow
New fallen from the sky.
Then, in the rustic hollow,
At hide-and-seek they played,
The party closed at sundown,
And everybody stayed.
Professor Wind played louder;
They flew along the ground;
And then the party ended
In jolly "hands around".
~George Cooper "October's Party"


Here's my October pictures of beauty in my neighborhood. I don't have a digital camera and so I was saving the last several pictures on my film for my search, but after my surprise gift (see below) I only had three pictures left on my camera to use. Erin accompanied and assisted me in my search. We walked to the park that is a couple of blocks from our house. Walking by the pond always reminds me of our walks in Iowa down a long gravel lane that had cornfields on one side and beautiful lake homes along the lake on the other. Red-wing blackbirds were always singing in the corn, and here they are always singing in the cattails. Erin liked the three tall trees with their graduating colors against the bright blue sky. I was disappointed that my pond picture is a little blurred, but decided to post it anyway.

Thanks, Sookie, for posting "October Party" on your blog. I hadn't read that poem in years and it is one of my favorites. Btw, have you ever wondered why autumn is the winner hands down when it comes to poems? Maybe that topic is for another post. Cheers!

4 comments:

Erin said...

Lovely pictures! I had fun coming on the walk with you to help find good views. :)

Randi said...

Very nice pictures--I especially like the 2nd one!

Anonymous said...

Wow! That poem is the best! The pictures are also beautiful!

Sookie said...

Hey the pictures really do look beautiful and October-ish!
I'm afraid October in Texas isn't much of a season. Today it got to like 95 degrees or something.
Thanks for using the quote!
-Sookie
ps. I think fall is a popular poetry topic because there is so much to it-and so much symbolism in the season itself.